Making a heart shape out of a gum wrapper is an easy paper folding project that anyone can do. With just some wrappers, scissors, and a bit of ingenuity, you can create miniature works of art to give as gifts or use as decorations.
- It’s easy and fun to make a paper heart out of a gum wrapper.
- All you need is some gum wrappers, scissors, and a little creativity.
- Folding and cutting the wrappers in certain ways creates the heart shape.
- Add glitter, drawings, or other decorations to personalize your gum wrapper heart.
- These cute hearts make great Valentine’s Day gifts or decorations.
To make these fun little hearts you will need:
- Gum wrappers – the more colors and styles the better. You can use wrappers from gum, mints, candies etc.
- Glue (optional)
- Glitter, markers, or other decorations (optional)
Best Gum Wrappers for Hearts
While any wrapper can work, some types make better hearts than others. The best ones are:
- Foil wrappers – These mold into shape nicely. The foil adds a shiny, decorative touch.
- Small rectangular wrappers – Square wrappers work but rectangular ones are easier to shape into a heart.
- Thin flexible wrappers – Rigid, super thick wrappers are harder to fold.
You don’t need fancy wrappers though. Even plain white ones make a heart out just fine with a little finesse.
Folding and Cutting Wrapper Hearts
Folding the gum wrappers the right way and making strategic cuts is the key to creating the heart shape. Here are step-by-step instructions:
Step 1. Cut the Wrapper
Cut your wrapper so it is a rectangle. It works best if it’s twice as long as wide.
Step 2. Fold It in Half
With the wrapper horizontal, fold it in half lengthwise. Crease it firmly down the middle.
Step 3. Create Upper Curves
Starting at one short end of the rectangle, cut out an upside down “V” shape about 1/3 across. This will form two little flaps.
Repeat on the other short side. Each flap should curve slightly upward.
Step 4. Fold Flaps Up
Lift the flaps you just created and fold them UP to form the top of the heart.
Press folds firmly in place.
Step 5. Shape Into a Heart
Gently curve the wrapper into the distinctive heart silhouette with the flaps shaping a center dip at the top.
If desired, put glue in the center and pinch the flaps together. Or leave unglued for a more dimensional, open heart.
Voila! Your gum wrapper heart is complete. Go wild creating colorful hearts in multiple shapes, sizes and designs!
Hearts made from longer wrappers tend to hold their shape better since they fold over to reinforce the sides. Aim for at least a 1.5 by 3 inch starting rectangle, but experiment with sizes.
Jumbo hearts are great decor pieces while mini ones work for jewelry, gift toppers, keychains and more. Match the wrapper size to your intended use.
Decorating Paper Heart Crafts
Plain hearts are pretty but you can make them dazzle by adding some easy decor elements. Here are ideas:
- Glitter – Brush glue on before folding then sprinkle glitter over the heart. Shake off excess for a sparkly look.
- Drawings – Use markers, pens, or paint to draw designs, words, patterns or pictures onto the hearts. Let your creativity shine!
- Stickers and gems – Adhere decorative stickers, plastic gems, rhinestones or other embellishments.
- String/ribbon – Attach a loop of string or ribbon to hang the hearts on the wall, tree branches, packages etc.
Layer multiple materials – like glitter, stickers AND string – for an over-the-top decorative effect.
Awesome Uses for Gum Wrapper Hearts
These miniature paper hearts offer almost endless possibilities for crafts and decor. Here are some fun ways to use your creations:
- Gift toppers
- Napkin rings
- Party favors
- Mini wreaths
- Embellish cards or gifts
- Decorate gift bags
You are only limited by your creativity. Have fun crafting these adorable hearts alone or with kids and friends.
I hope you’re inspired to make a heart or two – or maybe a hundred! It’s rewarding to create useful, beautiful folk art totally from recycled materials you might otherwise throw away.
So next time you pop a piece of gum in your mouth, don’t discard that empty gum wrapper so fast. Those scraps might come to life as wonderful heart shapes that bring joy to yourself or loved ones.